Applesauce Oat Muffins
From SparkRecipes. Makes one dozen.
1 cup non-instant rolled oats
1 cup non-fat milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sugar
raisins or nuts (optional)
1. Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 and spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
3. Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired. Do not over-mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.
6. Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin. Bake for 20-25 minutes. These can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast.