Friday, September 10, 2010

Uncharted.

sarab


I have personal rules about new music. The first time I listen to a new album, I have to listen all the way through at least once (usually two or three times). No skips, even if I immediately dislike a particular song. I figure it's the least I can do to respect the overall vision. After the first few listens, though, I resume my usual musical ADD*, and the songs I still don't like can fade into obscurity. I generally prefer upbeat music, and if I didn't adhere to the no-skips rule, I probably would have missed out on a lot of great slower songs. On the other hand, I've re-discovered a lot of rejects years later, and they've gained a personal meaning they wouldn't have had when they were new. Because music is always evolving.

All that to say, I bought Sara Bareilles' new Kaleidoscope Heart this week, and had a difficult time sticking to the no-skips rule... because it's so fantastic that I wanted to listen to each song again as soon as it was over. I loved Little Voice, but this album takes it to a whole new level. Well done, Sara!!!

* = It's possible that the iPod and the general concept of "shuffling" was invented by someone who observed me as a teenager. I would go for long walks with my pockets stuffed with extra tapes (which were, themselves, often mix tapes) so I could pick and choose from the best songs on my Walkman. I would have made a great DJ if I'd lived back in the days when DJs had control over what they played.

No comments:

Post a Comment