Monday, November 22, 2010

Sweet Potatoes

sweetpotatoes


If you still haven't settled on a sweet potato recipe for Thanksgiving, the following is my favorite. I got it from an online friend, Rachael, a couple of years ago and have made it for almost every holiday since. It's not healthy, but health is not what Thanksgiving is about. :)

Sweet Potato Souffle
Serves 6-8.

Ingredients:
6 sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar*
½ cup milk
½ cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
1. Boil unskinned potatoes in a large pot for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool, and remove skins. (I'm always impatient and end up scalding my fingers. :P)

2. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 2-quart casserole dish.

3. Beat potatoes on low until they break up. Increase to medium speed and blend until smooth.

4. Reduce speed; add all the other ingredients and mix well. Pour into a square casserole dish.

5. Prepare topping, spread as evenly as possible over potatoes, and bake for 40 minutes.

If you want to go in a more savory direction with your sweet potatoes, I highly recommend this recipe from The Crepes of Wrath. I made it a few weeks ago, and even my sweet potato-averse dad loved it!


* = I don't like the descriptor "granulated" for sugar, because it's implied for most of us and is therefore confusing to see in a recipe. I only believe in specifying other types of sugar. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment