Monday, February 28, 2011

Double Broccoli Quinoa

broccoliquinoa

I've been on the lookout for good quinoa recipes ever since I discovered quinoa last year. This recipe is easier than it seems, and all the green makes it a nice meal for spring. :)

Double Broccoli Quinoa
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks. Serves 4-6.

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked quinoa (this equals about 1 cup uncooked)
5 cups raw, chopped broccoli (I used one 12-oz package of frozen broccoli)
2/3 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
2 Tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup heavy cream (I used half-and-half, as usual)
2 big pinches salt

Directions:
1. Cook the quinoa: Rinse in a fine-meshed strainer. In a medium saucepan, heat the quinoa, two cups of water or broth, and a few big pinches of salt until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa fluffs up, about 15 minutes. It's done when you can see the curlique in each grain. Drain any extra water and set aside.

2. Cook the broccoli: Pour 3/4 cup water into a large pot and bring to a simmer. Add a big pinch of salt and stir in the broccoli. Cover and cook for a minute, just long enough to take the raw edge off. Transfer the broccoli to a strainer and run under cold water until it stops cooking. Set aside. OR: skip all this and just defrost your package of frozen broccoli. I'm so classy!

3. Make the broccoli pesto: Puree two cups cooked broccoli, garlic, 1/2 cup of the almonds, Parmesan, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor. Drizzle in olive oil and cream, and pulse until smooth. Confession: I totally eyeballed all these ingredients, and the balance was fine.

4. Just before serving, toss the quinoa and remaining broccoli with about half of the broccoli pesto. Taste and adjust if needed. Turn out onto a serving platter and top with the remaining almonds, and some sliced avocado or any of the other optional toppings (she suggested feta or goat cheese, "slivered" basil, and "fire oil," though I guess Tabasco or any fancy hot sauce would work).

3 comments:

  1. I haven't had much quinoa even during a 5-year stint as a vegetarian ... but this sounds pretty good. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had quinoa, so I was looking it up yesterday and I still can't tell what it's actually like! I guess kind of the texture of brown rice? But is it served hot or cold? Anyway, your photo of it is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's usually served hot - I wouldn't want to eat it cold. But I'm sure some people do! It is interesting-looking.

    ReplyDelete