Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The champions of the world.

uconn

I always cry at championships.

Even if I don't have strong feelings about the winning team (and even if I didn't see the whole game), I love to watch the confetti and hugs, the presentation of the trophy, the shoutouts to the mamas, and most of all the pure joy on the players' faces. Wins in individual sports are beautiful too - the Olympics are basically a two-week sobfest for me - but there's something about team accomplishment that fills my heart. A lot of it is nostalgia for my high school band days, but I also think it's harder to achieve as a group than to do so individually. It requires everyone giving their best. It requires trust and compromise and learning to complement each other.

I believe heaven will be like the ultimate championship, and we'll all get to be part of it. I think that's part of what Paul meant when he talked about being cheered on by a cloud of witnesses, and when he said "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." Someday we'll all get to cut down the net, together, with the knowledge that we got there by Christ's strength, not our own. And then we'll give Him the net. It's going to be glorious.

I was actually rooting for Butler in this game, because I'm all about Cinderellas. (Plus, their coach is young and cute! I think he's married, though.) But they had a good run and should be proud. Especially that Jesse Eisenberg. ;)

butler

I feel in my bones that next year, I'll be celebrating and overemoting for my Tigers. To the Final Four and hopefully beyond. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment