Monday, July 18, 2011

Weekend

I try not to bore people with weekend recaps on this blog, but this weekend was eventful in a pleasant, low-key way.

newovenday

I bought a new-to-me oven! My kitchen has an open countertop/bar layout that requires a "drop-in" oven. They start around $1000 new, so I've lived with my original 1970s harvest gold range for almost five years. Also, it still works fine, and I generally believe in keeping stuff for its lifespan instead of upgrading every few years Just Because. But lately the buzzing oven timer has gone rogue, and I'm over it. I started looking on Craigslist again, and found this white smooth-top GE range for a tiny fraction of the new price! My dad is going to install it for me next weekend. In the meantime, I need oven cleaner recommendations, because I don't think this one has EVER been cleaned. :| I want it to be all sparkly when it comes into the house.

Treating my sassy new haircut to a Sonic happy hour :)

I got a haircut! I didn't intend for it to be this short (my own fault - I'm terrible at judging how much I want cut off), but I REALLY like it. My hair hasn't been this short in several years, probably since my last Ouidad haircut. This cut is almost as good, too! If you need a curly hair stylist in Memphis, I can direct you. :)

letterfromwilliam

I got a letter from my Compassion kid. It made me smile a lot. Note his question, "Are you married already?" I love the way kids go straight to the heart of things. :)

hptheend

Kathy and I saw Deathly Hallows Part 2 - in 3-D! It was fantastic and I cried a lot. My thoughts on the movie are basically the same as Still Wandering's. It was my first 3-D movie, and after years of disparaging 3-D as an unnecessary gimmick... I kind of liked it. Anyway, Kathy and I have gone to almost every midnight Potter book release and movie together, so this was the end of an era. I'm seeing it again with Caroline and some other friends on Saturday!

peachcarrotbread

I baked Peach Carrot Bread. I used Splenda instead of sugar, and substituted barley flour for some of the all-purpose flour. It added a nice flavor, but I think it caused the bread to be a little dry. Still, it's delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I like your new stove!

    Your haircut is adorable. :) And what a sweet little letter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair is so gorgeous!

    Easy Off. It's fume-tastic, but cleans ovens AWESOME-ly.

    ReplyDelete