Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Delicious Summer Salad

summer salad

When I was in Knoxville several weeks ago with a group of friends, one of our meals was this flavorful salad. I've made it twice for myself since then! It's perfect for summer and covers all food groups. I don't have an official recipe, but here are the components:

- Chopped Romaine lettuce, or similar (Baby Spring Mix is pictured)
- Sliced strawberries
- One peach, peeled, pitted and diced
- Toasted pecans
- Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
- Grilled chicken that was marinated in orange juice (I added a little garlic too)

My friend Kelly served it with a strawberry vinaigrette, but any vinaigrette would be a nice accompaniment. I just whipped up some balsamic. One of my favorite cookbooks, Simply Salads, converted me to making my own salad dressings. It only takes a minute, and you can make it to taste and without preservatives. Nowadays I only buy bottles of more complicated dressings like Ranch.

3 comments: