Thursday, September 1, 2011

August Book List

parakeetbooks
via weheartit

Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To by Anthony DeStefano
This book is just what it sounds like. Although I disagree with the author on some key theological points, I don't disagree with the premise. This is no Prayer of Jabez, and DeStefano emphasizes repeatedly that God's not a vending machine. :) I was encouraged and gleaned a few helpful insights.

Marriable: Taking The Desperate Out of Dating by Michael and Hayley DiMarco
If I had paid more than 75 cents for this book, I would have wanted my money back. There are a few tiny nuggets of truth in it, but it's basically a slightly Christianized version of The Rules. It buries insulting and demeaning advice under a cutesy, image-heavy presentation. This goes for both genders, although the book comes down hard on women to remain aloof and mysterious, while becoming what the man wants and expects, instead of being your true self and, you know, having opinions. The authors are also fairly harsh to divorced people, so when Mr. DiMarco reveals on the second-to-last page that he was divorced himself, it's a real kicker. Bottom line, don't read this unless you want to snark on it with a group of friends, or need something to throw across a room. I did both. I was tempted to write an entire post about it here, with quotes, but decided it would be too much negative energy.

The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman
I read this in one sitting on an airplane. It's a lot like The Giver (and almost as good), but with a female protagonist and set on a tropical island after global warming melts the ice caps and floods most of the earth.

The Seaside Letters by Denise Hunter
The first fluffy Christian love story I've read in a loooong time. It's about a shy waitress with a sad past, a Christian sailor on a level with Michael from Redeeming Love, and a case of mistaken identity. I liked it. I'd like to read the rest of this Nantucket series, but my library has zero Denise Hunter books.

Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
This classic book of reflective essays is as relevant now as it was in 1955. It's simultaneously simple and profound and has already earned a spot on my favorites list. I loved it.

The Allure of Hope: God's Pursuit of a Woman's Heart by Jan Meyers
I wrote extensively about this amazing book here.

From Clueless to Class Act: Manners for the Modern Woman by Jodi R.R. Smith
This was okay. It would be better to have on hand for reference, as opposed to reading it straight through. Clinton Kelly's Freakin' Fabulous is a much more enjoyable handbook. :)

Skipping a Beat by Sarah Pekkanen
In this novel, Julia and Michael, together for 15 years, overhaul their marriage and their lives after he has a near-death experience. For various reasons, I wasn't sure at first if I could get through this book, but I ended up loving it. Sarah Pekkanen is one of my favorite new writers.

Deeply, Desperately by Heather Webber
In this second Lucy Valentine book, Lucy takes on new clients for her Lost Loves business, moves forward in her relationship with Sean, and gets a few big surprises - all with wit and grace. To be honest, I don't get what makes Lucy and Sean such a perfect couple, but I enjoy these books so much that it doesn't bother me.

Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld
The continuing story of Alek, a secret Austrian prince on the run, and Deryn, a female British air officer posing as a boy, in alternate-history WWI. I read this in one night, and then was sorry because I wanted more! Thankfully, the last book in this trilogy comes out in just a few weeks. I didn't read this one upon release because I was waiting for the paperback, but I can't restrain myself this time. Someday I'll learn to stop reading unfinished series so I'll stop ending up with mismatched books.

Books for August: 10!
2011 year to date: 55

No comments:

Post a Comment