Friday, September 23, 2011

Mental Health Day


I'm taking a day off from work today - for no better reason than I felt like I needed a mental health day. I have never done this before. I have a chronic case of Inadequate Vacation Time Anxiety. For some reason, I'm mentally stuck in the years when I had to hoard my vacation time like gold, and it was all spoken for as soon as I accrued it - for weddings, graduations, routine trips to visit family, and then maybe a short leisure trip. Although this month was my tenth anniversary at my job (bumping me to a new level of time off), I'm also in the life stage of adding babies, funerals, and surgeries to the time-commitments list. And both of my siblings now live in other cities. Plus, this is the freest I'll ever be to travel, and I want to make sure I'm taking advantage of it in between all those other things.

I've been busier than ever recently, and when my Macbook broke down this week, I broke down too, trying to figure out what class or event I could skip in order to take it out to the Apple Store. I was at the end of my rope. Suddenly all I could think about was how great it would be to take Friday off. To be quietly at home, enjoying the beautiful fall weather, working on my fall wreath, taking care of neglected home things and stretching out in my hammock with my highly-anticipated copy of Goliath. So, after my sister and friends reassured me multiple times that it wasn't irresponsible, I asked for the time off. And I am very happy about it. :)

Am I the only one who struggles to relax or take time off for no reason? :)

4 comments:

  1. Brenda, I'm totally with you! I've always written it off as a rule-following firstborn issue. You are an inspiration...Now, I'm sensing the need for a mental health day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you took the day off, and I hope it was just what you needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you took the day off! I understand your mental dilemma. I get A LOT of time off at work...and it feels like it's never enough. My time is often accounted for because all my favorite loved ones live too far away. Right now, I know I've upset some family members b/c there is a party for a family member in Buffalo next month and I'm not going because I'm saving my vacation to visit Memphis at Christmas because it's important to me to see my nieces & nephews as much as possible...esp when they are so little. And I know I'm the one that moved away, but I also find it's frustrating that the burden of travel almost always falls on me (the only exception...my parents have visited me.) I guess that's another rant. Anyhoo...glad you took the day...and I hope you thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I have some extra days this year that I cannot wait to use doing what I want!

    ReplyDelete