Friday, April 27, 2012

I Must Become A Lion Hearted Girl


If you're not a Harry Potter nerd, or a personality test enthusiast, or are annoyed by people talking about fictional worlds as if they're real, you'll probably want to skip this post.

To everyone who remains: I finally joined Pottermore this week! Ever since I heard about it, I've looked forward to being officially Sorted. But when it finally opened to the public, I was a little nervous. I've always thought of myself as a Ravenclaw, but would JK Rowling agree? The anxiety!!

If you don't know anything about Pottermore, it allows you to interact with the Harry Potter series. It's a video game, really, but there's a lot more to it than that. So far, only the first book is available. You walk through the story as Harry, so first you go to Diagon Alley to get your school supplies, wand (elm with unicorn hair), and pet (a black cat to represent my Gandalf, of course). Along the way, you collect various things which I guess are valuable later in the game, and unlock cool information which I haven't gone back to read yet. Then you take the train to Hogwarts and get Sorted.

The Sorting is based on six or seven multiple choice questions, which I answered very thoughtfully (because, as JK says in the intro video, your Sorting cannot be changed). At the end, I was shocked to be GRYFFINDOR! A part of me was disappointed because I wanted Ravenclaw, plus we already know so much about Gryffindor and I was looking forward to more info about the other houses. But honestly, I felt empowered... to a slightly embarrassing degree. LOL. Although I feel more courageous than I used to, and want to be more so, I would never call bravery my defining characteristic. So I'm not sure I really ought to be in Gryffindor, but JK created this world and she can't make mistakes in it! Besides, it just proves how Hermione-ish I really am. She expected Ravenclaw too.

My friends are a pretty bookish group, but I wasn't the only one surprised. A few have gotten Hufflepuff and been bummed at first. There's definitely a presupposition among fans that Hufflepuffs aren't smart, so I think as more people are sorted, that will be disproved. The ones I know are all smarter than I am. :)

Anyway. HOUSE PRIDE YAY!


***

PS - Please remember to vote for me in the MORE Magazine Beauty Search - and also for my friend Myla, who wrote a song as her entry! Everyone has been so encouraging and supportive about me entering this contest, and it means so much. Thank you all!

3 comments:

  1. I just signed into Pottermore a couple days ago!! I didn't really have alot of time to sit and play - serious bummer - can't wait to see where I'm sorted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a dork...because I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about above. Except for the More entry...I voted for you...and have been voting for you. I think it's awesome you entered and you totally deserve to win. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I'm a Puff. Was never upset about it but just o.O about it because I'm such a Gryffindor in real life but looking back at my questions, it makes perfect sense why I ended up as a badger. I don't mind it though. I've always been outspoken in my beliefs that Hufflepuff is NOT full of duffers. Ha.

    ReplyDelete