Thursday, August 16, 2012

Birthday Musings


Today is my 33rd birthday. It's my Jesus year! ;)

I have slightly mixed feelings about turning 33. I'm all about celebration and will NEVER be one of those women who wants everyone to ignore her birthday, or says she's "29 again" (major ughs). I'm honestly enjoying my 30s and happy to acknowledge another year of life! But the passing of another year reminds me of all I'd hoped to accomplish by this point in my life. It also highlights the fact that I am, always have been, and now probably always will be out of place for my age group. I've really been struggling with that lately. I've always been overconcerned with fitting in and catching up to my peers. I've always tried to be a robin when maybe God made me to be a peacock. So maybe this will be the year when I accept that and let it go. And stop worrying about having the open life and uncertain future of someone ten years younger, while all the other early-30s women are worrying about getting their kids into a good private school. God guides each of us on our own paths for a reason, and none are better or worse than anyone else's.

One of my mom's friends texts a verse to her every morning. My mom forwarded today's to me, and it happened to be from Isaiah 40, one of my favorite chapters of the whole Bible. I'm taking it as an encouraging sign.

Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength.
Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted;
but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Brenda. God has good things in store for you for 33 and beyond. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this is a very blessed year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Brenda! You are a gift and I hope that God shows you some more of his wonderful plan for your life this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you sweet friend! Happy, happy birthday to you! So thankful God gave us another year with your beautiful self!

    ReplyDelete