Monday, October 1, 2012

September Book List

source

To Be Told: Know Your Story, Shape Your Future by Dan Allender
I read/studied this book over the summer with some ladies from church, and finished it on my own this month. It didn't provide me with a life path or anything, but it affirmed some things I've already learned. It can be slow going, but everything really came together in Chapter 10. I highlighted almost the entire chapter.

Julia's Cats: Julia Child's Life in the Company of Cats by Patricia Barey and Therese Burson
I needed this charming, uplifting read (with adorable photos of cats!). As the title indicates, it's a little Julia Child biography anchored around the cats in her life. I've been going through a Julia Phase for a couple of years, and as a fellow cat person, I loved hearing her story from this angle.

Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will by Kevin DeYoung
My small group leader gave me a copy of this book after I mentioned my fear of making wrong decisions. The message is that God's will is not as mysterious or personalized as most of us are taught. God doesn't turn us out into a maze and expect us to figure out His specific plan for our lives - He gives us wisdom to make good choices, and freedom to choose among options that are pleasing to Him. For the most part, this book encouraged and refreshed me!

Major Crush by Jennifer Echols
I've always wanted to write the Great American Band Novel, and Major Crush is by far the best example I've found so far! Virginia and Drew are new co-drum majors of their high school band. With controversy over Virginia's election as drum major, a last-minute change of band directors, and the fact that Virginia and Drew aren't speaking to each other, things are looking bleak. Can they achieve success as a team both on and off the field? This was my first Jennifer Echols book, and I'm looking forward to reading more of her stuff. Based on her other book covers, I didn't expect her to be so funny - like a YA Jennifer Weiner. It's obvious that she wrote this partly from experience, because the little touches of band life ring so true. LOVED IT.

Slammed by Colleen Hoover
I reviewed this here. Very good!

Starring Me by Krista McGee
I reviewed this here.

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin
This novel, set in NYC in the late 21st century, combines elements of The Godfather, Charles Dickens, The Hunger Games, and many other well-known themes into a really original, engaging story. Anya is the unwitting heiress of the Balanchine crime family (specialty: chocolate production and smuggling), which is falling apart years after the murder of her parents. After years of staying out of the action to protect her siblings, Anya is gradually forced into the leadership role that is her destiny. I liked this book SO much more than I thought I would! (It doesn't hurt that it shares a title with one of my favorite songs of all time.)

Books for September: 7
2012 year to date: 52

No comments:

Post a Comment