Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Home Life Lately 8/6

Here are some recent domestic goings-on:


  scallopedshorts

Last weekend I finally cut scalloped shorts from some bootcut jeans I got at Goodwill! I measured the cutoff length against my favorite shorts, then used a scrapbooking border template to outline the scallop pattern in chalk. (I find chalk much easier to work with than a fabric pencil.) After cutting the shorts, I applied fray check to the edges as a finishing touch. I also wanted to stitch a hem for extra security, but my attempts to follow the scallop pattern with the sewing machine were disastrous. Thankfully it only took me one side to realize that it wasn't going to work, and I just ripped it out. Fun fact: I've probably ripped out and re-done 75% of the hems I've sewed up to this point.

I'm happy with the shorts, but if I had it to do over, I'd cut them a little longer. My favorite short shorts work because they're not fitted tightly to the leg. But jeans are, so now I have an unfortunate muffin-leg situation. I'll just have to remain standing when I wear these! :P


  newdyson 


After months of waffling, I gave up on my shrilly wheezing Hoover vacuum and bought a Dyson Animal cordless stick vacuum. My friend Stacy loaned me hers for a test drive, and I fell in love. But the painful price tag still made me hesitate. Then Emily alerted me that Costco had them for $70 off, so she ordered one on my behalf and we're all living happily ever after. I love vacuuming any old way I want, instead of following a strict pattern dictated by how far the cord will stretch (and tripping over/re-extending the cord multiple times). I can take it anywhere, including out to the car, so I don't have to wrestle with those vacuums at car washes anymore. I can get under cabinets and tables and into tight spaces with no problem. And it's so quiet - I literally had to wear earplugs when using my Hoover, even though it was barely over a year old. This Dyson better have a longer track record! #firstworldproblems


   


I harvested my first eggplant last week! (At least two more will be ready soon.) The resulting Grilled Eggplant with Tomatoes and Feta was fantastic. All ingredients were homegrown except the cheese, and I felt like a pioneer. I also made Watermelon and Feta Salad for the first time (where has it been all my life??), so basically I'm going through feta cheese like Greece is about to fall off the map.

4 comments:

  1. Cute shorts! Those meals sound delicious. I should have planted that garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's not too late to do tomatoes in a pot!

      Delete
  2. I am super inspired by those shorts. So cute and simple. *heads to Goodwil*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing idea for the shorts! I've got to try this out!

    That ones snazzy vacuum. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

    Love me some eggplant!

    ReplyDelete