Thursday, July 1, 2010

June Book List

I've been posting monthly book roundups at my more private blog for years. So why not share them here? :)

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Recommended (and loaned) to me by my brother-in-law Lance. Like the original fairy tales it pays homage to, this book doesn't pull punches, and a lot of truly disturbing things happen to David (the child hero) and his friends. I had a hard time slogging through the darkness, but everything really picked up in the last 50-100 pages. I'm generally not a fan of horror, but this book is VERY well-written and probably has a lot more traditional literary references that went right over my head.

My Fair Lazy by Jen Lancaster
Each of Jen Lancaster's memoirs have a theme - this one is about expanding her cultural horizons after realizing she's addicted to reality TV. It's funny, interesting and informative. Weirdly enough, the funniest part for me had nothing to do with culture. It was about her cats becoming so obsessed with a pineapple that she never got to cut it up and eat it. I could totally envision the scene. I'm laughing just thinking about it!

A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle
Madeleine L'Engle always has plenty to teach me, and I think this is my favorite of her books so far. It's sort of a long journal entry about writing, family, community, faith, beauty...all the important things. I underlined something on almost every page. The other Crosswicks Journals are on my wish list now.

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer
After being crazy about Twilight, then backing off from it, I'm starting to enjoy it in small doses again. (I want to see Eclipse this weekend!) This novella was interesting even though we all know what happens to Bree. I read it on the publisher's website. Say what you will about Stephenie Meyer, the woman can tell a story. I admire her.

Maria by Maria von Trapp
A memoir about Maria's pre-convent and post-war life - there's not much about the Sound of Music days, I'm pretty sure that's another book. I was surprised to learn that Maria got into the Charismatic Catholic movement later in life.

Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up The Way You Thought He Would? by Pete Wilson
This book came out at the perfect time for me. It was exactly what I needed to deal with my current disappointing circumstances. It's encouraging but doesn't give you platitudes or easy answers. It'll definitely be a re-read!

Books for June: 6
2010 year to date: 32

If you're on Goodreads, add me!

No comments:

Post a Comment