Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August Book List

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Without being spoilery, Mockingjay produced a lot of the same feelings in me that Deathly Hallows did. It was brilliant, but not quite what I expected. Still, everything unfolded in a way that was true to the story and to Katniss's (awesome) character. I love Haymitch too, flaws and all.

In Every Pew Sits a Broken Heart: Hope For the Hurting by Ruth Graham
I was very encouraged by this memoir/self-help book, in which Ruth Graham talks about the unexpected trials she's experienced and what she learned from them. Each chapter focuses on a specific tough time in her life, and is supplemented with advice, discussion questions, and pertinent Bible verses. I appreciate such a prominent Christian being so honest about her struggles - and I know it wasn't easy for her, since she addresses that in the book too. The chapter about recovering from crisis (with the example of the prophet Elijah being cared for in the desert) was a great affirmation for me at this moment in my life.

The Day I Shot Cupid: Hello, My Name Is Jennifer Love Hewitt and I'm a Love-aholic by Jennifer Love Hewitt
Don't judge! I saw this at the library and couldn't resist. It read like a blog, was very entertaining (often unintentionally), and included a workout designed by JLH's trainer that I copied and am actually going to try to do! It took me less than an hour to read, too, so there's nothing to feel bad about. :) JLH also seems like a very nice and well-meaning person.

Falling Apart in One Piece by Stacy Morrison
This memoir of an unwanted divorce was difficult for me to read. I almost gave up a few times, but for some reason I felt that it was important for me to finish it. It is honest, real, and raw, and a good representation of the experience.

Knowing God by J.I. Packer
I started this classic at the beginning of 2010, reading it a little at a time so I could fully absorb it. He expounds on the attributes of God in a way that's both understandable and leads you to new revelations. I'm sure I'll come back to this book again and again!

Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut by Rob Sheffield
My first win on Goodreads First Reads! I enjoyed Rob Sheffield's first memoir, Love is a Mixtape, so I was excited about this new one. Each chapter is loosely structured around an 80s/early 90s song that influenced him or was the backdrop to an important time in his life. Since I also strongly connect music with memories, I can totally relate. The book is fun and engaging, and if a guy who wrote for Rolling Stone can admit to liking Hanson, I need not be ashamed. :)

Books for August: 6
2010 year to date: 46

No comments:

Post a Comment