Monday, November 1, 2010

October Book List

The Healing Path by Dan Allender
This is a deeply encouraging book about hope, embracing life, and how God draws us closer to Himself. It encompasses what I want to be and believe right now. I highlighted three pages' worth of quotes! My friend Kaye recommended it to me, and now several of my friends are reading it.

Summer at Tiffany by Marjorie Hart
A charming memoir by a woman who worked at Tiffany in New York for one summer of college - the summer of 1945, when WWII ended. I love first-person accounts of historic periods, and it was great to read about NYC back when everyone had a lot more class. :)

Such A Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster
This volume of Jen Lancaster's memoirs is about losing weight (and also growing up a little in the process). You can always count on Jen to keep it real and hilarious! I only have two more of her books left to read, so I hope she's working on a new one.

How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier
This YA novel is deeper than it appears. It's about a society in which most people have a personal fairy that gives them a specific ability. Charlie believes that her good-parking fairy is ruining her life, and will stop at nothing to get rid of it. It's lighthearted, but also raises discussions about faith, personal rights, the grass being greener on the other side, etc.

Ascendant by Diana Peterfreund
This sequel is even better than Rampant - I don't know how to do it justice. I was riveted. 5 stars. I'm also devastated that the final book isn't in the works yet, because there's so much to tie up!

When He Leaves by Kari West and Noelle Quinn
This book made me feel more understood than any other divorce/crisis recovery book I've read. These ladies - both of whom have Been There - have said everything I could say on the subject. What really sets it apart is the assumption that you love God and are committed to Him, and you gave everything you had to your marriage. It doesn't say that you ought to be questioning yourself and probably should have tried harder (the way other books, and people, do). It reminds you that God loves you, has delivered you, and has amazing things in store for you. It provides SO MUCH hope, comfort, and even laughs. I can't recommend it enough!

Books for October: 6
2010 year to date: 58

A friend loaned me the first Brandon Sanderson Wheel of Time book (I still haven't read it), so that may be the only book I read next month because they're so insanely long. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment