Friday, February 4, 2011

Stop looking at the mountains.

mountainlake

In continuation of my "short-term living" series, here's Wednesday's Jesus Calling entry:

Follow Me one step at a time. That is all I require of you. In fact, that is the only way to move through this space/time world. You see huge mountains looming, and you start wondering how you're going to scale those heights. Meanwhile, because you're not looking where you're going, you stumble on the easy path where I am leading you now. As I help you get back on your feet, you tell Me how worried you are about the cliffs up ahead. But you don't know what will happen today, much less tomorrow. Our path may take an abrupt turn, leading you away from those mountains. There may be an easier way up the mountains than is visible from this distance. If I do lead you up the cliffs, I will equip you thoroughly for that strenuous climb. I will even give my angels charge over you, to preserve you in all your ways [Psalms 91:11].

Keep your mind on the present journey, enjoying My Presence. Walk by faith, not by sight [II Corinthians 5:7], trusting Me to open up the way before you.
It's true that I'm on a fairly easy path right now, but there are a lot of scary-looking mountains on my horizon. Most of them involve being alone; being gradually left behind by friends and loved ones (because let's face it, it happens), without a companion or a calling of my own. I'm not capable of dealing with a lifetime of that, but God's not asking that of me. He just wants me to cope with today. He may lead me away from those mountains, and if He doesn't, He'll give me what I need to climb them when the time comes. The same is true for you, no matter what your mountains look like.

4 comments:

  1. So true. The idea that maybe the path could take a turn and those mountains aren't even mine to face is so reassuring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever notice how many times mountains come up in Scripture? Where we live, we look out at the Sandia Mountains every day and they are beautiful. They change in appearance depending on the weather and the lighting in the sky, etc. They have their own mood to them. Anyway, I love them. But I'm reminded when I look at them in awe that my help comes from the Lord and I am reassured (Ps. 121) ... but still, I use the mountains like a compass. I can find my way around this new part of the world if I see whether I'm heading toward or away from the Sandias. So helpful. Sometimes, I think God put mountains in the world as a reminder of His greatness. I mean, I'm certain that mountains don't begin to compare with Him, but in a way, maybe they help us to grasp in our humanness just His size, his undeniability and how firm He stands. But when we see Him in various lights and weather conditions, doesn't He seem more complex than ever? I'm rambling here and doing my own blog post on your blog (sorry), but yeah, mountains ... I know how big they can seem and how daunting to climb ... but sometimes, instead of focusing on the climb ... I like to just sit back and enjoy the amazing sight, being reminded of God's greatness (evidenced in many ways, but the mountains are one of the cool ones for me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. R, good thoughts! Thanks. :)

    It is interesting how many different ways you can consider mountains. :) Maybe that should be a future post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Brenda! Good for all of us to be reminded!

    ReplyDelete