Thursday, June 30, 2011

June Book List

bookscartoon

Travel Thursday will return next week... for now, here's the June book list! In writing this up, I noticed that the unintentional theme of this month (at least 4/5ths of it) is Realistic Fiction. All of these stories involve tough or sad situations and/or people who disappoint you... just like real life. I guess that's good. I certainly can't be accused of escapism. :)

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares
After four Sisterhood books, reading this ten-year follow-up was like visiting old friends. The adults Lena, Carmen, Bridget, and Tibby turned out to be, and their reactions to what happened, seemed so real. I felt like I was experiencing their tragedy right along with them. I read this book in one evening because I couldn't do anything until I found out how it all ended (satisfyingly!). I remember Jenn once said she prayed for a character's safety on Lost before she remembered that he wasn't a real person. That's how I felt while I read this!

When The Stars Go Blue by Caridad Ferrer
This novel is (mostly) set in Miami and is about a dancer who joins a drum corps! Could more of my favorite things BE in one book? It's well done, but it was a darker, more intense story than I was expecting, with a shocking end. The characters are multidimensional - likable, but prone to bad decisions. (Also, the eternal marcher in me is still wondering how the Raiders retooled their show in time for finals. :))

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han
In this last book in the Summer trilogy, Belly has to make a final choice between brothers Conrad (her first love) and Jeremiah (whom she's now been with for two years). I obviously liked it, since I finished it in one afternoon, but the impossibility of Belly's situation made me uncomfortable. I just felt bad for her and everyone involved. I think the story ended the right way, but not without a lot of pain and scars.

The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson
When Ginny (of 13 Little Blue Envelopes) hears from the stranger in possession of her last mysterious letter from her aunt, she embarks on another European adventure. I loved this as much as the first Envelopes book! I liked the fact that it wasn't exactly a fairy tale ending, but happy nonetheless. :) I really wish there were more Ginny books!

The Girl Who Was On Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy, ed. Leah Wilson
A collection of essays about The Hunger Games from 13 current YA authors. I enjoyed the very different perspectives. My favorite by far was "Your Heart Is a Weapon The Size of Your Fist," about love as a political act. :)

Books for June: 5 (I'm amazed it's that many, considering how busy I was)
2011 year to date: 40

No comments:

Post a Comment