Friday, July 22, 2011

My Favorite Movies: The Wedding Singer

wsposter

As a child of the 80s (I would have been around the same age as the nephews in the movie), I love the music, atmosphere, and nonstop 80s references of The Wedding Singer. I've seen it so many times that it's mostly a comfort movie for me, but it never stops being funny. I can't even single out one favorite part, so here are some scattered thoughts.

The first time I saw The Wedding Singer was at a drive-in with my college roommates, Kathy and Emily. It was appropriate that we saw it together, because once it came out on video, it became the unofficial movie of our friendship. Kathy and I, both going through a terrible time romantically and in general, watched the "Love Stinks" scene almost daily for about three months. I can still probably recite/sing the whole thing.

wslovestinks
"I have the microphone, and you don't.
So you will listen to every %$*# word I have to say!!!"

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore have great chemistry, and I love them together for any reason. (I think Drew is at her most adorable in this film.)

wsdrew

Steve Buscemi's roles are always hilariously off-the-cuff. He's funny just standing there.

wsbuscemi

And in case you forgot...nobody talks to Billy Idol that way!

wsbillyidol

By the way, if I ever have another wedding, I want a string quartet playing "Don't Stop Believing" (a la the first wedding of the movie). I'm serious. It shouldn't be surprising, given what I named my blog. :)

5 comments:

  1. YES!! high five. i absolutely love this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I still haven't seen this movie all the way through. I need to rectify that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Random Lurker here again, with an actual blog now! Bwah. Anyway, I think I can safely say the musical/stage version of this movie? You can skip. It's so horrifically bad, and not the kind of bad that circles around to being so bad it's good, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen this movie. Surprising, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Information
    One of Faridabad's top live wedding singers is Ankit Shastri. Over the last ten years, he has played at over a thousand weddings. He is unmatched in terms of his enthusiasm, charisma, energy, and love for what he does. He is a well-known singer and musician who can play any instrument with ease. He can sing in any language, with or without instrumental support, and he is a gifted vocalist. To know more about Ankit Shastri
    .

    ReplyDelete