Friday, October 28, 2011

Memory Lane: SoCal 2007 (Part 2)

I almost forgot about this little nostalgia trip. :) Here's the remainder of highlights from my 2007 trip to Southern California - you can see part 1 here.

After seeing Hollywood, my mom and I ventured down to Long Beach and the Aquarium of the Pacific! We were excited to see different kinds of fish and animals than the Atlantic ones we're used to.

Aquarium of the Pacific

sea lion

seahorses

tidepool

Nemos and Dorys

The aquarium also had a parrot and Lorikeet aviary. I'd never seen Lorikeets before. They're really cute!

bird love

When we'd seen all there was to see, we looked at the Queen Mary and a lighthouse, rode a Ferris wheel, and had dinner at a delicious Greek place.

Long Beach

Queen Mary

Ferris wheel
Still one of my all-time favorite pictures.

another self-shot

My mom is a fan of the Schullers, so on our last full day in California, we went to church at Crystal Cathedral in the OC. The building and grounds are beautiful!

bell tower

Crystal Cathedral, Garden Grove, CA

After church, we made a last-minute decision to go to the Getty. It was magnificent - one of my favorite memories from the trip. I also thought I saw Liv Tyler there (my only possible celebrity sighting), but was probably just someone who looked like her.

natural art

at the Getty

beauty from usefulness

near the azaleas

fountains

The next morning, we flew home, concluding one of the best trips of my life. After a week and a half, I felt very comfortable in SoCal and loved the culture, the beautiful weather and surroundings, and the excitement. For a long time, I thought about it almost every day. I even started wondering if I should move there someday. In the end, I decided that living there would only make me homesick for Miami (which probably makes sense to no one but me). Still, I'd love to visit again!

Santa Monica from the air

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely vacation! You'll definitely have to go back one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete