Tuesday, November 1, 2011

October Book List


Yes, this looks like a month of pure fluff. I have been reading heavier things, but haven't managed to finish them yet.

Names My Sisters Call Me by Megan Crane
Megan Crane is one of my go-to novelists, and this one about the dysfunctional relationship of three very different sisters didn't disappoint. The plot was well thought out, and I understood where Courtney was coming from even in her unwise decisions. I cringed for much of the book, waiting for something horrible to happen, but it all ended pleasantly but realistically. :) Also, Lucas is a worthy addition to any Heartthrobs of Modern Fiction list.

Love Starts With Elle by Rachel Hauck
Another sweet, likeable, but just okay Christian romance, set in South Carolina. Elle is an artist-turned-gallery owner trying to put her life back together after a broken engagement. Heath is a lawyer-turned-novelist taking a sabbatical after the tragic death of his wife. They're both endearing and you'll root for them, but I kept thinking, "Who talks like that?" You'll know what I mean if you read it.

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
This book arrived on my doorstep one day at 6 pm, and I finished it by 11:30! It's set in San Francisco and features Lola, a costume enthusiast, and her next-door neighbor/childhood sweetheart, Cricket. Cricket moves back in two years after breaking Lola's heart and leaving town, and their path back toward each other is full of obstacles (like pride, misunderstandings, and rock star boyfriends). I've decided I prefer Anna and the French Kiss to this companion - I relate much more to Anna, and hello, PARIS! However, while Etienne is dreamy, Cricket is more my type, so the books kind of balance out. ;) Can't wait for Isla and the Happily Ever After!

Across the Universe by Beth Revis
Along with her parents, Amy is cryogenically frozen for a 300-year space trip to colonize a new planet. Unfortunately, she's woken 50 years ahead of schedule into a dystopian society on the ship. But she immediately connects with Elder, the teenage second-in-command. While (and maybe because) this story is very well-written, it's also upsetting and disturbing (and claustrophobic!). So although I couldn't put it down, I can't exactly say I enjoyed it.

Absolutely, Positively by Heather Webber
Another enjoyable, suspenseful chapter in the life of Lucy Valentine. Love! With the unexpected revelation that there's more to Lucy's power than even she knows, I'm especially excited for the next book.

Books for October: 5
2011 year to date: 64

***

I can't believe it's November. Is anyone doing NaNoWriMo? I don't understand why they schedule it in one of the busiest months of the year - the only worse choice would be December. I attempted it in 2008, and only made it to about 18,000 words before deciding the stress and isolation wasn't worth it. Someday I'll try again, but maybe in January or July instead!

3 comments:

  1. I totally signed up for NaNoWriMo this year, but I am already discouraged about it, because I am SOOOO busy! I would totally do it with you another time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try it next year. :) But yeah, I'd love to do it in January or February, when life is slower, and you're not tempted by the pretty sunshine to go outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard of NaNoWriMo. I checked it out and it seems interesting and even fun ... but my life right now is not suited for focused writing. The blog's about best I can do for a while. Someday, maybe. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about books and writing opportunities ... even if I don't have the time, I do enjoy hearing about them.

    ReplyDelete