Thursday, December 1, 2011

November Book List




City of Fallen Angels and Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
CFA is the fourth book in the ongoing Mortal Instruments series (modern fantasy set in NYC), and CA is the first in the related, but stand-alone, Infernal Devices series (set in London during the Victorian era). I really enjoyed both, but CA captured me in a way that CFA didn't. I can't wait to see where that trilogy goes. :) As I said in my Goodreads review, I was a big fan of CC's epic Harry Potter fanfiction before she got signed, and it's cool to see many of the same themes and character traits emerging in new ways. It's like getting a glimpse of old friends.

Bossypants by Tina Fey
This stream-of-consciousness-ish memoir is hilarious (I LOLed repeatedly) and insightful. Tina discusses her childhood and family, how she got into comedy, her years on SNL and the birth of 30 Rock, and what the whole Sarah Palin thing was like - plus several random funny stories. She also shares great thoughts on womanhood and what improv teaches us about life. I think she's brilliant, and am encouraged by how much I relate to her in some ways. :) Five stars!

Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr
Anyone who's ever had the rug ripped out from under them will relate to this honest novel. Sam's mother is in rehab, and her pastor dad is in denial and making some bad decisions. After a member of the youth group is kidnapped, Sam doesn't feel like she can trust anything or anyone - including God. As a Christian brought up in the church, I think the setting, tone, and perspective of this book are perfect. I admire Sara Zarr's serious treatment of Christian culture without turning it into a cliche or a parody. That's not easy to do! This is an excellent read for those who believe, those in doubt, and those who have walked away from faith.

Books for November: 4
2011 year to date: 68

One more reading note: if you like book blogs, I highly recommend Good Books and Good Wine. April is very entertaining. :) This blog actually gave me the final push to read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, which my brother-in-law has been recommending to me for at least a year, but I had a hard time getting into it and it was due back at the library yesterday. I was less than 100 pages in. I just don't have time for that kind of commitment right now. I'll try again in 2012!

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree about CA vs. CFA.

    Clockwork Prince comes out in about a week. :)

    ReplyDelete