Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cooking Cheers and Jeers

Just a recap of what's going on in my kitchen lately...

kelsalad

This fantastic salad combo is courtesy of my friend Kelly in Knoxville. I enjoyed it many times last summer. When I had a sudden craving for it this week, I couldn't remember the ingredients and had to search high and low for the recipe. Here's what you need to know:

kelsalad (2)

My Kroger had NO peaches, so I used oranges instead. I topped it all with a quick balsamic vinaigrette. So good!

herbs0412

On Monday I raided the herb garden to make the long-anticipated Green Couscous. It was as good as I'd hoped and may be a new favorite this summer!

I've also been looking for a good strawberry muffin recipe (as usual, something under 150 calories per muffin). Last night I excitedly tried this recipe. It said to use whole wheat pastry flour, but I used regular whole wheat (because who has a variety of pastry flours sitting around?), thinking it wouldn't matter. Um, IT DID. They turned out strawberry hockey pucks. Aside from that, they were kind of bland, even with all that strawberry puree and Splenda sprinkled on top. Back to the drawing board.

1 comment: