Monday, August 20, 2012

Roasted Summer Vegetables

broccolibook

My favorite recipe of the last six months is undoubtedly Ina Garten's Parmesan Roasted Broccoli. I make it for dinner about once a week. I found it on Amateur Gourmet, where it was touted as The Best Broccoli Of Your Life. But don't take his and my word for it - ask Bethany how many times her preschool son has REQUESTED broccoli since I passed this on to her!

This recipe is very forgiving. I've never measured the ingredients, and I often forget the basil, but it's still delicious every time. (You don't have to eat it while reading about basketball, but it can't hurt!)

Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
From Ina Garten

Ingredients:
4 to 5 pounds broccoli
4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
Good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp julienned fresh basil leaves (about 12 leaves)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Trim the broccoli florets from the stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached. Discard the rest of the stalks. Pull the florets apart, with a knife or with your hands. You should have about 8 cups.

2. Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic with the broccoli and drizzle with 5 Tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

3. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned. Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a small pan over low heat.

4. Remove from the oven and immediately toss with 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, roasted pine nuts, Parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.

***

eggplant2012 (2)

Last week my eggplant was ready for harvest, so I made eggplant parmesan! Working from a recipe in my old Better Homes & Gardens cookbook, I sliced the eggplant, dipped it into beaten egg and then panko crumbs, and fried the slices in olive oil for about five minutes. (They got a little burned, but I sometimes like things a little burned.) Then I put the slices in a baking dish, topped them with parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and tomato sauce, and baked for about ten minutes at 400 degrees. DELICIOUS and so quick and easy. I felt like Pioneer Woman eating a meal from my own garden topped with homemade tomato sauce from my own tomatoes! And yes - I ate the whole thing. :)

1 comment:

  1. YUM!!

    One of these days, I want to try eggplant parmesan. :)

    ReplyDelete