Friday, October 19, 2012

And All The Stars by Andrea K. Host



I'm on a self-imposed dystopian fast, but the apocalypse in this book is caused by aliens, so I don't think it counts. :) When I saw the arresting cover of And All The Stars by Andrea K. Host on Netgalley, with the tagline, "Come for the apocalypse. Stay for cupcakes. Die for love," I had to check it out! The center of this Aussie YA novel is Madeleine, a talented teenage artist who is trapped in a Sydney subway station by the appearance of the Spires - massive, mysterious towers that have appeared in every major city on the planet. She escapes the station, but only after intense exposure to the glittery dust expelled from the Spire. Taking refuge in the nearby apartment of her famous cousin, she waits along with the rest of the world to see what will happen next. When she emerges several days later, most of her skin now blue and glittering, she quickly connects with a band of other "Blues" like herself. Together they begin to figure out their new reality and form a plan of action. With the support of her new friends and a new love, Madeleine finds the strength and courage to fight for her family, friends, and the whole human race.

This might be a silly-sounding synopsis, but if I went into any more detail, it would be too spoilery! I think it's better to go into it knowing as little as possible. Basically, this is solid, compelling, unique YA that's focused on friendships, not romance (although there are some mature scenes, so it's not for young kids, and I wouldn't recommend it to fundamentalist Christians either). Best of all, it's a true standalone - no cliffhangers! I was starting to wonder if that was even allowed anymore. Someone I know, please read this book so we can discuss.

I'm interested in reading more Australian fiction. I already like Justine Larbalestier (although most of her books aren't even set in Australia) and Jaclyn Moriarty. Any recommendations?

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, that sounds intriguing! I'll see if I can get it from my library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's not actually out in the US yet, so it might not be available right away!

      Delete
  2. Sounds good! I think there will be a trip to the library in my future!

    ReplyDelete