Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mary Mary


Every Advent, I connect with the song "Breath of Heaven," about Mary. (It's uncool of me to admit my love for an Amy Grant song, but if you thought I was cool, you didn't know me very well.) Mary is so inspiring. She could have been angry about the monumental task God gave her, which ruined her reputation and could have cost her everything, even her life. She could have given in to fear. She could have insisted that she was inadequate to be the mother of the Messiah, and then kept dwelling on her own inadequacy. But she accepted God's plan for her, not with trembling, but with boldness. She had full confidence in God's goodness and His ability to strengthen and provide for her.

If Mary, a nobody teenage girl in a society that regarded women as property, could bravely embrace the most important role in the history of mankind, I should be able to embrace the MUCH less demanding life path I've been handed. He who is mighty has done great things for me, too. I may not have a clue what He's doing with my life, but Mary had even less of a clue, and she still trusted, and her life glorified God mightily. May I grow to have the same open, surrendered heart.

5 comments:

  1. I love this song!! We actually sang it in high school chorus and sine then, I always think about it at Christmas time. I love what you say here about Mary, your perspective is great.. this is all so true.. definitly gives me some things to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth, I've always thought you were cool. :) That was a very pretty song. Mary was an incredible woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love that song, too. :)

    Great thoughts and reflection on your own life. Our pastor gave a message this past Sunday that was very similarly aligned with your post. Mary is a wonderful example of trusting our God ... no matter what craziness He desires for our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts. I am often amazed at Mary's faith also. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this song! It's one that I actually listen to all year long.

    ReplyDelete