Thursday, December 27, 2012
The 2012 Survey
I do the same year-end survey every year. This post will be longer than most, so settle in!
1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before? Taught yoga classes; became an aunt; ran a 5K in 36 minutes; was sworn in in a courtroom ("with a real judge and everything!"); bought a brand-new car; sewed a lot of stuff; became a sort of legit editor; missed a flight due to my own negligence; tried online dating; did Korean karaoke; went to a blogger meetup; participated in the making of a music video; officially bought season tickets to Tiger basketball; got an iPhone (love it!); planted a raised-bed vegetable garden; visited NYC and went to a Broadway show!
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? My 2012 resolution was to make space in my life, and I did! I quit line dancing, which freed up a weeknight and made me more available. It's brought more sanity to my life (although I miss dancing). Believe it or not, I've learned to relax more in general. Anyway, my 2013 resolution is a little vague (at least at this point) and I'll talk about it later.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My sister! My niece was born May 1. In college-friends births, Kathy had John (her third son!) on July 17, and MaryElaine had Matthias on June 19. My SIPster Katharine had her daughter on Valentine's Day. And there's a constant parade of new babies amongst my church friends.
4. Did anyone close to you die? My paternal grandmother. We weren't extremely close, but she was still my grandmother.
5. What countries did you visit? None. No new states this year either.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked this year? A strong sense of purpose and direction in my life, and/or at least one nice, real date with an interesting man.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? February 6 – my maiden-name reclaiming day! May 1 – my niece's birth. July 13 – I went to a Jimmy Fallon taping in NYC and got a high five from Jimmy when he ran through the audience! July 27 – I bought my car. September 1 – my grandma's death.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Going back to my maiden name. I'm SO glad I did it (even though my work e-mail accounts will be messed up forever).
9. What was your biggest failure? I shouldn't dwell on this long enough to come up with an answer. Honestly, I often feel like a failure in general.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I had a bad virus in the summer, and recently a long-term cold that turned into the flu. Other than that, I've had a healthy 2012. I was just reflecting on how healthy I've been this year when I came down with this recent mess.
11. What was the best thing you bought? My new car! It's the nicest thing I've ever owned.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Debra's for being a fantastic first-time mom! And Myla's - she had a big year and handled it with so much poise.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? For my own safety, they shall remain nameless.
14. Where did most of your money go? The down payment on my car. I think I put less down on my house!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Buying my car! Going to NYC! Becoming an aunt! The SIPsters trip to Jacksonville!
16. What song will always remind you of 2012? I'll have my 2012 tracklist up soon, but the real theme song of 2012 won't be on that list - Call Me Maybe. There was no escaping it!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer? About the same. I guess a little sadder, but it's not a big deal.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Seeing my niece. Going to movies. Reading the Bible. :\
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Dealing with my cats' health problems. Which will hopefully be resolved VERY soon!
20. How did you spend Christmas? With my whole immediate family here in Memphis.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012? I fell in love with NEW YOOOOOOOOORK!!! Concrete jungle that dreams are maaaaaaade of!!! My crush on the city has reached embarrassing, Mary Anne Spier levels.
22. What concerts did you attend this year? In reverse chronological order: Derek Webb and Page CXVI at my church; Kelly Clarkson, The Fray, and Carolina Liar in Nashville; Florence + The Machine and Needtobreathe at Music Fest; Little Big Town at the Opry.
23. What was your favorite TV program? I really got into How I Met Your Mother! I've been watching new episodes as they air since last year, and I watch almost every rerun I come across, so I've seen most of them now. The plot and character continuity is fantastic, unlike in other shows I've loved that practically reinvent themselves every episode. (I'm also slowly realizing that I am the female Ted Mosby.) Among new shows, Revolution is my fave. I also like The Mindy Project.
24. Do you dislike anyone now whom you didn't dislike this time last year? No, I generally dislike the same (few) people! And actually, I dislike them less than I did this time last year. Small moves.
25. What was the best book you read?
Fiction: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green; Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis; For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfreund; Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter; And All The Stars by Andrea K. Host. (I just noticed that three of these have "Stars" in the title. WEIRD.)
Non-fiction: A Praying Life by Paul Miller; The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin; Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling; Ruby Slippers: How The Soul of a Woman Brings Her Home by Jonalyn Fincher; Angry Conversations With God by Susan E. Isaacs
26. What was your greatest musical discovery? Several of my friends have liked the Black Keys for years, but I just discovered how great they are!
27. What did you want and get? Most of the things I mentioned on this list.
28. What did you want and not get? See #6.
29. What was your favorite film of this year? The Hunger Games, The Avengers, and Skyfall. But I liked all the movies I saw.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 33. I didn't take off from work, but I did have lunch with Myla at Cheffie's. My parents took me to dinner at Bonefish Grill and then showered me with Tigers merchandise.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? The Tigers advancing to the Final Four! I had serious intentions of going.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? I'm so tired of this question. I just like to look cute!
33. What kept you sane? My sister and friends. And vacation time.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Jimmy Fallon! I've liked him since 1998, but I was in his studio audience this year so my fandom has been re-ignited. I also gained a new appreciation for Katy Perry. I dare anyone to see her concert movie and not be impressed by her strength, and her commitment to her fans and to boldly being herself.
35. What political issue stirred you the most? I was shamefully apathetic/cynical about politics this year. Yes, in an election year. I feel like everyone is lying anyway, and this country will be stuck in gridlock forever no matter what anyone does. But I still researched issues, and I still voted. I'm trying to have a better attitude!
36. Who did you miss? All my friends far away.
37. Who was the best new person you met? My niece!
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012. A spray painter is the BEST way to paint the exterior of a house!
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Don't be scared to walk alone, don't be scared to like it
There's no time that you must be home, so sleep where darkness falls.
Know your fight is not with them, yours is with your timing
Dream your dreams, but don't pretend, make friends with what you are.
Give your heart, then change your mind. You're allowed to do it.
'Cause God knows it's been done to you, and somehow you got through it.
Alive in the age of worry, rage in the age of worry
Act your age in the age of worry and say, "Worry, get out of here!"
- John Mayer