Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Moroccan Chicken

moroccanchicken

I hope everyone had a good Presidents' Day weekend - or regular weekend for my international readers, or the many Americans who don't get Presidents' Day off (I didn't until a few years ago, so it always feels like a bonus)! I went to a small cookout over the weekend, and the gracious hosts sent me home with what I can only describe as a slab of delicious smoked chicken. The next night, I made Moroccan Chicken with it. I'm surprised I've never posted this recipe because it's been one of my go-tos for years. If you have a rotisserie chicken or other cooked chicken, and want to do something a little different with it, this is a great option. It's easy and makes a ton of food.


Quick Moroccan Chicken
From Real Simple, January 2007. Serves 4.

Ingredients:
1 cooked rotisserie chicken (or equivalent), cut in pieces
1 10-oz box couscous
1 15-oz can sliced peaches, drained
1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced or minced
½ cup orange juice
1 ½ Tbsp light brown sugar
1 ½ Tbsp red wine vinegar
½ Tbsp olive oil
¼ cup fresh parsley (or just sprinkle some dried)
Pinch ground nutmeg

Directions:
1. Cook the couscous according to package directions.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 ½ minutes.

3. Add sugar, nutmeg, vinegar, and orange juice and bring to a simmer.

4. Add peaches and continue to simmer until the sauce has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.

5. Divide couscous and chicken among individual bowls, top with peach sauce, and sprinkle with parsley.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I am going to try this nest time I have some left over chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good and easy! I would have to use pork though since David can't eat chicken. But I'm a big fan of having fruit in meat entrees, so I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete