Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Working Woman's Monkey Bread



I signed up to bring breakfast for my Sunday School class last weekend. After overthinking my options, I finally decided on classic, fairly easy monkey bread. While I wanted to try this healthier version, I didn't have time to mix, rise, separate, and bake my own yeast dough for 30 people. But biscuits from a can? That was doable, and the bread was still a hit. There's absolutely nothing healthy about it. It's just delicious.

I got this recipe from a friend a long time ago. I love the name!


Working Woman's Monkey Bread
Serves a lot. I planned to double the recipe, but filled up two Bundt pans with only five cans of biscuits.

Ingredients:
4 cans jumbo buttermilk biscuits
1 ½ cups light brown sugar
1 ½ sticks butter, melted
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
¾ cup chopped pecans (optional - I left them out in case of nut allergies)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or whatever the biscuit can calls for). Spray pan(s) with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Over low heat, combine butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and nuts in a small saucepan until sugar is dissolved.

3. Cut biscuits into quarters. You can do this all at once, or one can at a time if you're not sure how many biscuits you'll need.

4. Dip biscuit quarters into the mixture until well coated. BE CAREFUL!

5. Layer biscuit quarters in the pan. When the pan is full, pour remaining sugar mixture over the top.

6. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until center is no longer doughy. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment