Friday, September 20, 2013

Fall Beauty Picks

Here are some beauty products I've been loving lately, and a few picks for fall!




For my birthday I considered getting a facial. Then I decided, why not get a Clarisonic instead and have "facials" all the time? Then I had some unexpected travel expenses (you'll hear more about this later), and that was the end of that. But the next day I saw a Living Social for a Clarisonic knockoff - Vitagoods - with extra brushes for only $22. DONE. Admittedly, I was skeptical about how much a glorified electric toothbrush could really do for my complexion. But after a month of use, my skin is noticeably smoother, clearer, and even a little less oily. There are many schools of thought on how often to use the brush, but every other day with the regular brush head is working for me. The Vitagoods also has a "deep cleaning" brush, a pumice stone, and a large attachment for knees and elbows. If you're considering a cleansing brush but don't want to shell out $100+ for the Clarisonic, this is a solid cheaper choice.




A few months back I bought these cotton makeup remover pads on Etsy. I go through a lot of cotton rounds, and it was time to make the switch to reusable cloth ones. These come with a little bag so you can just throw them in the wash with the rest of your clothes. Super easy and good for the earth. I've been very happy with them. Related: I'm still using apple cider vinegar as a toner, and I still recommend it!




A few makeup notes:

My official fall lipstick is Revlon's Abstract Orange. I bought it last year as a dupe for NARS Autumn Leaves, since I can't bear to spend $25 on a lipstick. It's pretty and fallish!

I don't use it every day, but Mary Kay Oil Mattifier is the real deal and does exactly what it says. On a normal day, my face is shining within two hours (or less) of putting on my makeup. When I use this stuff, I'm set well into the afternoon. I hoarded a bottle of the old formula for years, and I don't remember it being this good. Yay for advances in beauty technology.

Even though it's still pretty hot here, I'm craving more subdued nail colors. One of my all-time faves is this old Revlon Street Wear in Grape, which I got IN HIGH SCHOOL. No joke. Actually, I think I may have snitched it from my sister. Sorry Debra! Anyway, it's still good. I discovered that it's a near-dupe for OPI's You Don't Know Jacques, so I'll have that when the Grape runs out. YDKJ is a touch darker and browner. I just wore them back-to-back. Clearly I'm a fan of muted purpley browns.

Any fall beauty revelations you want to share?

1 comment:

  1. OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark is a good nail color as well. I like it better on my toes than on my fingers, but I like it on my fingers too. It looks like a purple brown when it's wet, and then when it dries it looks a tad darker.

    I am craving all things apple right now!

    ReplyDelete