Friday, June 3, 2011

My Favorite Movies: Center Stage

centerstage

When I got my first real job in 2001, I treated myself to a DVD player and two DVDs. One was my all-time fave, When Harry Met Sally. The other was Center Stage. As far as I'm concerned, this is the cheesy dance movie to end all cheesy dance movies. It follows young ballerina Jody and her friends (including figure skater Ilia Kulik and pre-household name Zoe Saldana) through their first year at the American Ballet Academy in NYC. Along the way they cope with bad turn-out, philandering boyfriends, rivalries, eating disorders... everything you would expect to encounter in a movie about ballet. They also do some awesome dancing.


I want to attend that class! Also, only in NYC could you find this many men not only willing to dance, but able to dance well.

I realize this is my second Favorite Movie in a row featuring Peter Gallagher (he plays the head of the ballet company), but what can I say - I find him and his eyebrows endearing.

I know I've posted the movie's finale performance before, but it's worth sharing again. I could do without the bedroom scene, but other than that it is FANTASTIC, and I love the music.


In the end, Center Stage is about figuring out who you are, and throwing off everything that keeps you from dancing. :)

3 comments:

  1. This one of a few movies that I get major cravings for... i love it! I can't believe I don't own it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by my blog! and I LOVE Center Stage! The dancing is amazing and those are 2 of the best dance scenes! The nail polish isn't OPI (though I love the name of the OPI one). It's by a brand called Sinful Colors Professional, "rise and shine".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that movie... by the way, all your most recent posts finally showed up in my reader so I am reading back through them!

    ReplyDelete