My love affair with blueberries continues. Now is the perfect blueberry time when every pint is fantastic, and I eat at least a pint a week all by myself, usually standing over the sink. But blueberries this good deserve more dignified treatment.
So last night I pulled out this muffin recipe I've been saving for a while. I tasted the batter, as is my custom, and it was so delicious that I thought these muffins must be like 300 calories each. I mean, they even contain real sugar (not Splenda)! But after consulting ye olde recipe calculator, I'm pleased to announce that they're only 108 calories each, and chock full of fiber and protein. So eat up!
Blueberry Bran Muffins
From Allrecipes. Makes 1 dozen.
1 ½ cups wheat bran
1 cup 1% milk
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup brown sugar, not packed
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp kosher salt
1 cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 F and prepare muffin tin or cups.
2. In a medium bowl, combine wheat bran and milk, and let stand for ten minutes.
3. In a large batter bowl, combine applesauce, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add bran mixture.
4. In a third bowl, sift together flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the large bowl and stir just until blended. Fold in blueberries.
5. Scoop into muffin cups and bake for 15-20 minutes.
This is an aside, but I want to make it clear that many of the photos I use on this blog weren't taken by me. I get most of them on weheartit, so it's usually impossible to find and credit the original source, though I'm happy to do so when the information is available. Lately I've felt increasingly guilty about my lack of original, topic-pertinent photos, but photography isn't really a passion of mine (although I get a good shot now and then). Most successful bloggers are excellent writers and excellent photographers... but I'm not. I'm okay with that. If that keeps me from ever being really successful, oh well.