Wednesday, December 4, 2013

November Book List



Yes, this is late. (I spent Thanksgiving in Miami, got back on Monday, and have been scrambling ever since!) Now that I do What I'm Into every month, I'm wondering whether I should incorporate my book review lists into those posts as everyone else seems to do. But there's already so much going on there. Thoughts? Anyway, here's November.


Thin Space by Jody Casella (5 stars)
Marsh Windsor survived the car accident that killed his twin brother. Before her own death, his elderly neighbor taught him about "thin spaces," places where the barrier between our world and the afterworld are thinner, enabling people to visit with the dead. Racked with guilt and grief, Marsh goes everywhere – including school – barefoot in hopes of literally stumbling upon a thin space. His real objective is to get into the house where the old lady promised to create one. Unfortunately, his new neighbor, Maddie, makes those efforts difficult. As he slowly lets her in on his plans, he is forced closer and closer to everything he's been trying to forget. There's much more going on in this story than meets the eye. If you read it, please let me know so we can discuss!!

With a Little Luck by Caprice Crane (4 stars)
Berry, a classic-rock DJ in LA, has lived her entire life according to the superstitious teachings of her gambling-addicted father. When she meets Ryan, she's just finished her second bad relationship in a row... and bad things always happen in threes. So their love is doomed. But as their relationship progresses, Berry begins to question her philosophies and her screwed-up, if loving, family dynamics. This novel is classic Caprice Crane, which means it's funny, blunt, touching, and true all at the same time. It took me a while to get into it because Berry's superstitions are so intense as to be off-putting, but that's all part of the plan.

Across A Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund (5 stars)
This novel is set in the same postapocalyptic world as For Darkness Shows the Stars, but in a very different place - on two luxurious island nations where technology is embraced and the Reduction has been overcome by genetic engineering. Persis Blake, heiress to an estate and best friend of the princess of Albion, wears airheaded beauty as a disguise. She's actually the Wild Poppy, a notorious spy and enemy of the cruel revolution happening in Galatea. When Justen Helo, a famous scientist close to the Galatean throne, rescues her on a mission gone bad, things get a lot more complicated. So complicated that I can't explain any further. The important thing is that I LOVED this book and it is well worth your time. :)

When We Were on Fire: A Memoir of Consuming Faith, Tangled Love, and Starting Over by Addie Zierman (5 stars)
I've never even visited Addie Zierman's blog, but after reading this memoir, I'm ready to declare her the voice of my generation. If you grew up an evangelical Christian or want to understand someone who did, you need to read this ASAP. It's a masterful depiction of late 90s evangelical culture that manages to be both honest and respectful.


Books for November: 4
2013 year to date: 64

5 comments:

  1. I vote for keeping book lists separate. It's too easy for them to get lost in the other posts, and some people might want to check your reading label specifically without having to wade through the other stuff (not that it isn't interesting!) to find your book reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input! :) I'd rather keep them separate too, but I don't want to fatigue people with book talk.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I have lost my keys with my library card on it, but if I hadn't, I'd request Thin Space right now. As it is, I'm going to have to get it the next time I go. It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete